Thursday, September 3, 2009

How Do People Do It?

Warning: The following Blog Has A Pour Me Theme Read at Your Own Risk!!!!

Tonight I had my first institute class in a very long time. I'm taking The Teachings of Modern Prophets. The lesson was absolutely wonderful and I know I am going to enjoy the rest of the semester but it is the social aspect that is killing me. For those of you who don't know me, talking to people is not one of my strong points. I have a hard time having a conversation with some of my relatives, even the ones I see all the time, let alone with a perfect stranger but I am trying. I do go up to people and introduce myself and ask them questions but it seems no matter what I do, say or how hard I push myself past my shyness and be myself I just can't seem to connect with anyone. Its the same at church, during the talks and lessons I' m good but in between when people are talking and making plans to get together later on in the week I'm the one sitting by myself not talking to anyone. In relief society when a sister will get up and say what a wonderful ward it is and how everyone made her feel so welcome, I get a little sad because I've never had that happen to me. How do people do it, to go into a room full of perfect strangers and be able to get accepted like they've always been there. Some times it does make it hard to go to church or any other activities. I just wished I had that ability to make new friends that I actually go out and did things with, not just acquaintances that you talk to for a few minutes at church once a week and only if you run into them. I guess that's just one more thing I'll just have to keep working on.

3 comments:

Todd, Lara, Aubrey, and Graham said...

I know exactly what you are talking about. I have a really hard time talking to people that I don't know too. Church is the hardest for me to connect with people. I get annoyed by all of the clicks and trendy moms. Most of my friends have come from the work place or through family acquantences.

Jann said...

I feel the same way a lot of the time. I always wish I had Grandma Davis' ability to befriend anyone. I feel like I have a lot of acquaintances, but have rarely had a good friend. I think it is in our genes.

Grandma Esther said...

I am so proud of you for getting out there even though it is hard for you. You are such a special girl with so much to give. Don't give up and just be friendly. It will pay off. Love you.